Wardrobe Building Part 1: Daydreaming

I'm in the process of building a himekaji capsule wardrobe for the summer. My first step in this process is research. I know I like himekaji styles, but what makes these outfits himekaji in particular, and where do I fit in this style? Before I could dive into building my wardrobe, I had to familiarize myself with the style by reading blogs and searching through catalogs related to this style.

"Himekaji Summer" search results
I began with google images, trying to pin down the true meaning of himekaji. From the start, it's clear that this fashion is all about pastels. The colors are a bit limited, but that's all the better for a capsule wardrobe. It's a good idea to pick a color scheme before continuing with your wardrobe, so my color scheme will be pink, peach, and cream with sky blue accents.
Generally, the vibe I get from this style is light, elegant, and fresh. Himekaji literally translates to casual princess, so these vibes make sense. I'm liking what I'm seeing so far, and I'm pleased to see that I've chosen a fashion which has a very wide range of both casual and formal clothes.
A very casual himekaji coord.
A much dressier himekaji coord.
It turns out that himekaji is a very laid back style without too many rules. However, I did notice a few things that seemed to really hold the style together. Things like florals, sheers, frills, pin tucks, shirringbows, lace, and satin accents seem essential to this style. Pants and shorts seem to be allowed, but short skirts and dresses are easier to pair with, mainly gathered and with slight poof. It doesn't seem like petticoats are used, but instead bloomers or ruffled underskirts might add a nice flare. Blouses seem to mainly either have a square neckline or a peter pan collar. It seems like your basic summer himekaji wardrobe is going to consist of dresses, jumper skirts, blouses, skirts, sukapan (shorts+skirt combo), frill and sheer socks, and platform sandals.

Cute details.
I'm still not totally familiar with the style, but I felt that I had a decent grasp on the concept of this style, so I began delving into brands. So far, although I've found several taobao and eBay sellers who happen to carry this style of clothing, the only real brand I've been able to attach to this style has been Liz Lisa, so of course I've been spending lots of time pretending like I'm actually a princess with lots and lots of money to spend on clothes. After browsing the catalog, I've developed some inspiration for a basic himekaji summer wardrobe.


Unfortunately, I do not have infinite money, so I'll have to work with what I have. However, what I do have at my disposal are keen thrifting skills, eBay-fu, the fabric district, and my trusty sewing machine, so I'm not at a total loss! The next step was seeing how much I could scavenge from just my existing closet alone. I'll write about that in my next entry and discuss the perils of transitioning to a new style such as wishful thinking and self-delusion!

Yes, that will be a good distraction while I wait for my eBay order to arrive. <//3
Until  next time~


No comments:

Post a Comment